Whether at school or at home, instilling good hygiene habits as a first line of defense against COVID-19 and other communicable diseases is important for every child’s health and development.
Continuing its support to the WASH in Schools (WinS) program of the Department of Education, League of Corporate Foundations (LCF) member and project sponsor, Metrobank Foundation teamed up with Manila Water Foundation to distribute hygiene kits to public schools in 10 public elementary schools across the country.
A total of 2,000 pieces of hygiene kits were deployed to the following schools:
- Manggahan Elementary School in Pasig City
- Bulihan Elementary School in Malolos, Bulacan
- Tawiran Elementary School in Obando, Bulacan
- San Nicolas Elementary School in Agoo, La Union
- Caingin Elementary School in Sta. Rosa City, Laguna
- Ayala Central School in Zamboanga City
- Catalina Vda. de Jalon Memorial School in Zamboanga City
- Bayanihan Elementary School in Davao City
- Luyan Elementary School in Davao City
- Sixto Babao Elementary School in Davao City
The kits contain items such as soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, washable face mask, vitamin C pads, and disinfecting alcohol, and will be distributed to schoolchildren from low-income families.
Aside from hygiene kits, MBFI recognizes the importance of WASH in schools even beyond the pandemic. In 2020, MBFI, through the implementation of MWF, formally turned over five new 10-faucet hygiene facilities to five public schools in Metro Manila, while another five 10-faucet hygiene facilities were turned over to schools in Rizal, Laguna, and Metro Manila in February 2021.
MWF thanks the support of the Manila Water Philippine Ventures – Estate Water, Bulacan Aqua Estates, Bulacan Water, Obando Water, Laguna Water, and Calasiao Water during the deployment and distribution of the hygiene kits to far-flung schools.
This collaboration was forged through the LCFWinS: Lingap Eskwela sa Pandemya initiative of the LCF, a call for collective action among its members to support the WinS program of DepEd. To date, the LCFWinS program through the partnership of Metrobank Foundation and Manila Water Foundation has benefitted more than 31,438 learners in 20 schools.