WASH for All Communities
Enabling change through sustainable water access, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) education, and environmental programs for marginalized communities of the Philippines.
18 Years of Celebrating Synergies, Expanding Reach
GET TO KNOW US
Watch the Video
Who We Are
Enabling change and uplifting communities—this is our driving force in Manila Water Foundation.
Clean water and sanitation, as recognized by the United Nations, are vital to the fulfillment of all human rights. The lack of these basic needs are two of the five indicators of extreme poverty. Despite being essential for a dignified living, these remain as privileges instead of rights to billions of people around the globe. For this reason, Manila Water Foundation (MWF) was established in 2005 by the Manila Water Company, to be its social development arm to serve waterless and toilet-less communities in the Philippines and other neighboring countries.
Today, we are a non-stock, non-profit organization accredited by the Philippine Council for NGO Certification (PCNC) and recognized by the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD), the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR). Leveraging on the Enterprise’s business expertise in water and sanitation, we at MWF reach out beyond the business’ concession area (Metro Manila East Zone) to serve the entire archipelago.
To make a meaningful impact, we focus on an Integrated WASH Program—a holistic intervention of water access, sanitation and hygiene education (WASH) services, intended to improve the lives of marginalized communities. We use a people-centered approach that empowers community leaders to own the transformation within their areas.
Our over-all vision to bring WASH to all those who need it is anchored to the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDG). We at MWF support SDG 1- No poverty; SDG 3 - Good health and well-being; SDG 4 - Quality Education; SDG 6 - Clean water and sanitation; SDG 11 - Sustainable Cities and Communities; SDG 14 - Life below water; SDG 15 - Life on Land; and SDG 17 - Partnership for the Goals.
What We Do
We dream of a world where everyone enjoys the basic human right to clean, safe and potable water.
With our WASH Communities and WASH Institutions Programs, we hope to be able to achieve our lofty goals and see a Philippines where no one is left behind.
A long-term community-based intervention that results to access to clean, potable water and safely-managed sanitation facilities with improvement on hygiene practices in the communities.
- Agapay — A disaster response program that distributes bottled drinking water and deploys water tankers to affected families through Agapay Tubig and builds transitional toilets for displaced communities through Agapay Sanitasyon.
- Linang — Provision of technical mentorship to LGUs, LWDs and WASH groups to enable proper operations, maintenance and management of water supply and sanitation systems.
An immediate community-based intervention that results to access to clean, potable water and safely-managed sanitation facilities with improvement on hygiene practices in the communities.
- Lingap — Installation of standalone water supply, sanitation and hygiene facilities in learning and sectoral institutions.
- Ahon — Installation of standalone water supply, sanitation and hygiene facilities in communities and public spaces.
- Likas — Implementation of water resource management through watershed reforestation, urban forestry and coastal management.
- HIOH (Health in Our Hands) — Implementation of WASH & environmental education including celebration of global campaigns such as World Oral Health Day, Global Handwashing Day, and World Toilet Day.
We continue to gain momentum as we bring about meaningful impact to the communities we serve through the support of our partners, volunteers and WASH advocates.
As we continue our journey towards delivering sustainable WASH (water access, sanitation and hygiene education) systems to marginalized communities in the Philippines, it is our hope that we will move closer to a world where everyone enjoys safely managed water and sanitation, with people empowered to live healthy lives.
Here are our accomplishments in 2023, in numbers.
Click each image to enlarge